Built in 1915 for Gilbert & Bennett Company employees (who opted for the school project rather than take a pay raise) at the time the new school was a state-of-the-art facility with eight classrooms, an auditorium, a kitchen and indoor bathrooms. It served the local community until the 1970s when it could no longer meet the needs of the growing population. In the years since, the building was leased to several small, private preschools after which it sat empty. Seeing its potential, the Georgetown Community Association worked diligently for many years on a proposal for its use, funding, and management with the end result being preservation on the National Register of Historic places. It is currently a home to local artists, musicians, and creative businesses.
The building itself is one of the more architecturally significant in Georgetown. It is a 1-story, blond brick, truncated hip-roofed school arranged with a large interior room and eight classrooms around its perimeter. The mass of the building is relieved by applied gables with an educational motif cartouche in the peak at each end. Small hipped dormers are set into the Spanish tile covered roof which adds a nice textural contrast to the building.
Our history room, brimming with antiques and memorabilia from days gone by has been a resource for fine artists, interior designers, and visitors from across the country, some of whom were once students in this building.